This slow cooker beef brisket is packed with rich flavors that yields meat that melts in your mouth!Jump to Recipe
Easy Beef Brisket
If you’ve never had beef brisket, prepare yourself. This brisket is cooked for 10 hours on low in a slow cooker. The end result is meat that just falls off at a touch and is melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Served with a medley of vegetables like roasted potatoes, carrots, celery, and leeks; this is a must try holiday dish.
The Beauty of the Slow Cooker
Slow cookers are the perfect kitchen gadget to bust out on a cold night. Not only do they make cooking and clean up a breeze but they allow deeper flavors to develop!
First thing’s first for this recipe, you need to sear the brisket. While the slow cooker cooks the brisket, searing it beforehand allows the brisket to stay nice and juicy. Start by seasoning the brisket with salt and pepper. Then, add olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven and cook the brisket on each side over medium-heat. Remember, you just want to sear it, so you should only be cooking it for 5 minutes max on each side.
Before you add the seared brisket to the slow cooker, we need to build our flavor profile. Add two cups of chopped carrots, celery, and both red and yellow onions. Then, add in minced garlic, sage leaves, fresh thyme, and a bay leaf. Place the seared brisket on top of the vegetables, then cover with two cups of red wine and one cup of water.
Finish with salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder, and a touch of paprika. Finally, cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours. The best way to do this is cook it overnight!
Unpopular opinion, but I don’t like to serve the brisket with the vegetables that have are in the slow cooker with it. Those vegetables are meant to add flavor to the brisket, but are not a side dish. After 10 hours, they are mushy and overcooked. So, simply use those veggies as the base of your slow cooker!
To make the vegetables that you’ll serve alongside your brisket, start by preheating the oven and greasing a baking dish. Then cut three cups of baby potatoes, two cups of carrots, a cup and a half of celery, a cup of leeks, and one cup of pearl onions. Season with olive oil, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then, bake for about 30-45 minutes.
Serve these fresh vegetables with your brisket for the perfect dish!
Slow Cooker Holiday BrisketCourse: Recipes, HolidayDifficulty: Easy
Are you ready to make this delicious recipe?
- For the Brisket
1 four pound beef brisket
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of red wine
1 cup of water
5 sage leaves
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
- For the Vegetables
3 cups of baby potatoes, chopped
2 cups of carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cups of celery, chopped
1 cup of leeks, chopped
1 cup of pearl onions, peeled
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 sprigs of thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Brisket
- Allow the brisket to come to room temperature, then pat dry with a paper towel
- Season with 1 tablespoon pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven, then sear each side of the brisket over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the slow cooker
- Layer the slow cooker with carrots, celery, onion, and garlic
- Place the seared brisket on top of the vegetables
- Pour in the red wine and water
- Finish with sage leaves, thyme, the bay leaf, 1 tablespoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook for 10 hours on LOW
- For the Vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a baking dish
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, leeks, pearl onions, and garlic to the baking dish
- Season with olive oil, thyme, pepper, and salt
- Roast for 30-45 minutes until tender
- Serve the slow cooked brisket over the cooked vegetables