Do you know what's better than s'mores? Mini Gluten-Free S'Mores Pies that are a breeze to make!Jump to Recipe
What's a S'mores Pie?
A s'mores pie is exactly what it sounds like, it's a pie that utilizes the basic components of the s'more itself: graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows. For our Easy Gluten-Free S'mores Pies, the graham crackers act as a base for each individual pie. Then there is the decadent chocolate filling, and finally the roasted marshmallows on top.
While pies have the unfortunate habit of scaring people off before they even get to the recipe, I can promise that this recipe is a breeze! In just an hour or less, you can have eight individual gluten-free s'mores pies! These desserts are the perfect sweet treat to serve up for a BBQ, children's sleepover, or just a fun summer's night.
First Step: The Crust
Like with any good pie, the crust is the foundation that sets the tone for how good the pie will be. A crumbly crust that falls apart with one touch is not what we're going for here. The goal of our crust is to hold the filling together but melt in your mouth. So, let's jump right into the recipe!
Gluten-free graham crackers are the primary component when it comes to making our crust. The key to this crust though is just a touch of xanthan gum. Xanthan gum acts as a binder in gluten-free baking. Start by adding about 24 graham crackers to a food processor. Then, add half a cup of cooled and melted unsalted butter. Finally, add a touch of xanthan gum and about two tablespoons of cane sugar. Pulse this mixture on high until the graham crackers have crumbled. You may have to stop the food processor and run a spatula along the edges about half way through. After your crust is smooth, add about two large spoonfuls to the bottom of individual pie tin. Pat the crust into the bottom and sides of the pie tin. Repeat this process with each pie tin, then place them on a large baking sheet. Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes, then allow the crust to cool for at least 10 minutes before pouring the chocolate filling in.
Let's Talk About This Chocolate Filling
There are few things better in life than melted chocolate. To get our decadent filling, start by bringing one can of coconut milk to a boil. Then pour the hot milk over 10 oz. of dark chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Allow the chocolate to sit for 5 minutes before whisking until smooth. Next, you're going to whisk in your eggs one at a time. This helps tot thicken the filling! Finally, add your vanilla extract and just a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness.
Once the pie crusts have cooled, pour your chocolate filling into each pie tin. Then, bake the s'mores pies for 30 minutes. You'll know the pies are done because the chocolate will be set (not moving) but shouldn't be cracked. Allow the pies to cool for about 10 minutes before finishing with roasted marshmallows.
The Best Part: Roasted Marshmallows
I'd be lying if I said this wasn't my favorite part. After the pies have cooled, you're going to generously top the pies with mini marshmallows. To roast the marshmallows, you have two options:
- Handheld Blow Torch: If you have a mini blow torch lying around, this is the time to use it! And we're talking about a cooking or kitchen torch here. Gently torch the top of each pie until the marshmallows are golden.
- Broil: No torch, no problem! Just top your pies with marshmallows, then stick them back in the oven to broil for 2 minutes. This will get the marshmallows perfectly roasted in a pinch.
Once the marshmallows are roasted, all that's left to do is top each pie with chocolate shavings and enjoy!
Easy Gluten-Free S'mores PiesCourse: RecipesDifficulty: Easy
The best part about this dessert is you get a whole pie to yourself!
- For the Crust
3 cups or 24 gluten-free graham crackers
½ cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled
2 tablespoons cane sugar
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- For the Filling
1 ½ cups coconut milk
10 oz. of dark chocolate
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
- For the Top
3 cups of mini marshmallows
- For the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease pans with coconut oil
- Add gluten-free crackers, butter, sugar, and xanthan gum to a food processor
- Pulse until the graham crackers have completely crumbled, about 2 minutes
- Press the crust into the bottom and sides of each pan, then bake for 15 minutes
- For the Filling
- Add the coconut milk to a small pot and bring to a boil
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl, then pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate and allow to sit for five minutes
- After 5 minutes, whisk together until smooth
- Then, whisk in the eggs, vanilla extract, and salt
- Pour the chocolate filling into the cooled crust, then bake for 30 minutes
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes
- For the Topping
- Add mini marshmallows to the top of each s'mores pie
- Use a handheld blowtorch, or broil the pie for 2 minutes until the marshmallows are golden
- Top with shaved chocolate and enjoy!
- Refrigerate the homemade rosemary simple syrup up to 10 days