Cornbread has never tasted so good! This gluten-free recipe is loaded with cheese, white corn, and sliced jalapeños. Serve alongside a big bowl of chili for the perfect cozy side dish.Jump to Recipe
Let’s Talk About Cornbread
There’s nothing quite as cozy as cornbread. This quick bread is made with cornmeal, which gives the cornbread its’ signature yellow color. I love serving up cornbread and homemade chili on a cold winter’s night. Cornbread is the perfect side dish to enjoy with a big bowl of warm, hearty chili. Whether you crumble the cornbread on top of the chili or eat it as a side dish, it always hits the spot.
This Cheesy, Gluten-Free Cornbread skillet is made with honey and maple syrup, so it’s free of refined sugar! It’s so easy to make and yields a moist, filling cornbread. Check out the recipe below!
The Key to Moist Cornbread
Start by adding a cup and a half of yellow cornmeal to a large bowl. Because cornmeal is a bit grainy, it’s important to soak the cornmeal to make it moist and reduce the original texture. The key is to soak the cornmeal overnight for best results. Add a cup of buttermilk, then cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm spot for 12 hours.
The Cornbread Batter
The next day, start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, grease a 9″ skillet with oil.
Add 1 cup of gluten-free all-purpose flour to another bowl. Then, add two tablespoons of nutritional yeast, two teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and half a teaspoon of baking soda. Nutritional yeast is often used as a vegan alternative to cheese. While we’re using cheese in this recipe, I like to add nutritional yeast to deepen the cheesy flavors. Plus, it nutrient-dense and a great source of protein!
In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together half a cup of softened unsalted butter, half a cup of honey, and two tablespoons of maple syrup. Next, pour into the buttermilk soaked cornmeal and use a spatula to fold over until combined. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Then, fold in 1 cup of frozen white corn and 2 cups of Mexican-style cheese.
Baking the Cornbread
Use a whisk to combine the cornbread until smooth before pouring it into the prepared skillet. Slice one jalapeño and remove any seeds. Then, place the sliced jalapeños on top of the cornbread batter. Place the cast iron skillet on the center rack of the oven and cook for 30 minutes. About halfway, check the cornbread. If the edges are starting to brown, place aluminum foil over the top of the skillet to prevent the edges of the cornbread from burning.
After 30 minutes, allow the cornbread to cool in the cast iron skillet for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Once cooled, serve warm with honey and enjoy!
What To Serve With This Skillet
It’s no secret that cornbread and chili are a match made in heaven. I have two cozy chili recipes to serve alongside this cheesy skillet.
If you’re vegetarian, try my Vegetarian Chili with sweet potatoes, red bell peppers, and lots of beans. This cozy recipe comes together in the slow cooker, which makes clean up a breeze! It has a rich flavor and the plant-based protein that will keep you full. This vegetarian, protein-packed recipe is perfect for Meatless Monday’s!
If you’re looking for a chili with some meat, check out my White Chicken Chili recipe! Another slow cooker recipe, the ingredient’s include chicken breast, white beans, Greek yogurt, and spices that yield a flavorful chili. I love to top this chili with avocado slices, tortillas chips, cilantro, and sliced jalapeños. Serve it alongside this gluten-free cornbread skillet for the perfect dinner!
Finally, if you’re looking for a new side dish for the holiday season, this Gluten-Free Cornbread Stuffing is a must-make. You can use the cornbread from this recipe to make a savory stuffing that will be the hit of Thanksgiving or Christmas. This stuffing recipe features bacon and sausage; which, pairs beautifully with this cheesy cornbread recipe! Try it out and let me know what you think.
Cheesy, Gluten-Free Cornbread SkilletCourse: RecipesDifficulty: Easy
This moist cornbread is the perfect side dish to serve up for game day or bring to a potluck!
1 1/2 gluten-free yellow cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup white corn, frozen
2 cups Mexican-style cheese, shredded
1 jalapeno, sliced
- Add the yellow cornmeal to a medium-sized bowl, then pour in the buttermilk
- Place a tea towel over the bowl and allow it to sit in a warm spot for at least three hours
- Once the buttermilk soaked cornmeal has sat for the allotted time, preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Grease a 9″ cast iron skillet with oil
- In another bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt, and baking soda
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter, honey, and maple syrup
- Then, add the two eggs and beat until smooth
- Slowly add the buttermilk soaked cornmeal, using a spatula to fold over until combined
- Sift in the dry ingredients, mixing to combine
- Finally, fold in the cheese and corn
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet
- Place the sliced jalapeños on top of the cornbread batter
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered, then cover with foil and bake for another 20 minutes
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving
- Serve warm with honey and enjoy!
- About halfway, check the cornbread. If the edges are starting to brown, place aluminum foil over the top of the skillet to prevent the edges of the cornbread from burning.