Check out this delicious seasonal recipe! With fresh orange and cranberries, these gluten-free muffins with an orange glaze are the perfect sweet treat to enjoy any time of day!Jump to Recipe
Seasonal & Perfect for the Holidays!
There are few things better than utilizing fresh, seasonal produce in baked goods! Not only is it finally the holiday season but it’s also citrus season. December marks the beginning of orange and cranberry season. These flavorful fruits are just begging to be incorporated into all of your sweet recipes!
These Gluten-Free Cranberry Citrus Muffins with an orange glaze are not only so easy to make, but also tangy and so delicious. Serve them at breakfast along with your coffee or enjoy them as a late night snack.
Time to Bake!
Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and greasing a muffin tin, or line the muffin tin with silicone liners. Then, combine half a cup of unsalted butter and half a cup of cane sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer. Once the butter and sugar are creamed together, add two large eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix together thoroughly before adding a third cup of plain Greek yogurt. While sour cream is often used in baking, I like to use Greek yogurt as a healthier alternative. It provides the same moist interior and gives the muffins a hint of tanginess.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine two cups of gluten-free baking flour- I like to use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. Then, add in a teaspoon of baking powder, a teaspoon of cinnamon, half a teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of nutmeg, a fourth teaspoon of cloves, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix the dry ingredients together before slowly adding to the wet ingredients.
Use the electric mixer to combine the ingredients until smooth. Finally, add in a fourth cup of fresh orange juice with no pulp, a tablespoon of orange zest, and one cup of whole cranberries. Use a spatula to fold in the cranberries. Then, use a spoon to scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling a little over 3/4 of the way. Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes until golden brown, then allow to cool for 15 minutes.
While the muffins are cooling, it’s time to make the orange glaze! Start by sifting one cup of powdered sugar into a small bowl. Then, add one tablespoon of orange juice and half a teaspoon of orange zest. Mix together until smooth.
Once the muffins have cooled, use a spoon to drizzle the orange glaze over the muffins. Allow to cool and the glaze will dry and harden over the tops of the muffins. Then, dig in and enjoy!
Gluten-Free Cranberry Citrus MuffinsCourse: Recipes, HolidayDifficulty: Easy
Impress with these easy-to-make muffins!
- For the Muffins
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup of cane sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups of gluten-free baking flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup cranberries, washed
- For the Orange Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- For the Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with silicone liners
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and sugar
- Next, add the eggs, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract
- Use the mixer to combine until smooth
- Then, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, salt and xanthan gum in a medium-sized bowl
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, using the mixer to combine
- Finally, add the orange juice, orange zest, and cranberries
- Use a spatula to fold in the cranberries
- Pour the batter into the prepared liners, filling 3/4 of the way
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes until golden brown
- For the Orange Glaze
- Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl
- Add the orange juice and orange zest
- Whisk together until smooth
- Drizzle over the cooled muffins and enjoy!