If you’re looking to up your hot dogs, this Loaded Bratwurst Sausage recipe is for you!Jump to Recipe
Move Aside Hot Dogs
It wouldn’t be summer without grilled sausages and these Loaded Bratwursts in a pretzel bun are calling your name! Bratwursts sausages are a delicious and easy way to take your hot dog game to the next level. Not only are they much more flavorful but they’re about two times the size of a normal hot dog. Which means these brats will actually fill you up!
Classic brats usually feature sauerkraut, but we’re loading these grilled bratwurst dogs with caramelized onions, sliced radishes, diced pickles, cheese, ketchup, and mustard! Did I mention that they’re also wrapped in maplewood smoked bacon? It really doesn’t get better than these Loaded Bratwursts Sausages!
As Easy as 1, 2, 3!
Just like hot dogs or sausages, these loaded Bratwursts are so easy to make! All you need is a hot grill and you can have brat sausages in 15 minutes! Start by taking four pieces of maplewood smoked bacon and wrapping the bacon around each sausage link. To prevent the bacon from burning, brush a bit of olive oil over each slice. Next, wrap the sausage in aluminum foil. Then, fire up the grill and place each bacon wrapped sausage on it. Turn the heat to medium-low to let the brat to cook nice and slow. Allow the bratwursts to cook for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the grill.
While the bratwursts are cooling, it’s time to prepare the pretzel buns! Trust me when I say that these pretzel buns are a thousand times better than plain hot dog buns! If you want more of a smokey flavor, place the buns on the grill for about three minutes. If you want the buns to be more crispy, then place them in an air fryer for five minutes. Right before the buns finish cooking, add grated cheddar cheese to the bottom of each bun. Then, remove the cheesy buns from the grill. Unwrap the grilled bratwursts from their aluminum foil, and place the brats in the cheesy pretzel buns.
Now for my favorite part, it’s time to load these bratwursts dogs with all of the toppings! Start by slicing red radishes and dicing a handful of pickles. The radishes not only add a beautiful color but also a great crunch to the dogs too. And of course, the pickles add a unique flavor packed with acid, a bit of vinegar, and a little crunch as well. If you aren’t a fan of radishes or pickles, I recommend adding chopped onions or pickled red onions.
Next, it’s time to make the caramelized onions. Begin by julienning half of a white onion. Then, add four tablespoons of unsalted butter to a hot medium-sized saucepan. Once the butter begins to melt, add the onions and turn the heat to medium-low. Use a spatula to move the sautéed onion around to prevent burning. After about 10 minutes, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce. The sauce gives the caramelized onions it’s signature golden color and adds a nice savory flavor. Continue stirring the onions for another ten minutes, then add a dash of black pepper and salt. Remove the onions from the heat, and allow them to cool before spooning the caramelized onions on top of the bratwursts.
Finally, finish your Loaded Bratwursts with yellow mustard or ketchup! The decision is up to you and you’re also encouraged to add both! Now, all that’s left to do is enjoy your grilled Bratwursts.
Loaded Bratwurst Hot DogsCourse: RecipesDifficulty: Easy
Loaded with diced pickled, sliced radishes, cheese, caramelized onions, and ketchup!
- For the Loaded Bratwursts
4 Bratwurst sausage links
4 pieces of maplewood smoked bacon
4 pretzel buns
1/2 cup radishes, sliced
1/4 cup pickles, diced
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- For the Caramelized Onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 white onion, julienned
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the Loaded Bratwurst
- Wrap each Bratwurst sausage link in one piece of bacon, then wrap the sausage in aluminum foil to prevent burning
- Turn on the grill and place the bacon wrapped sausage link on the grill
- Grill the sausages over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes
- Remove the Bratwursts from the grill and allow them to cool
- Prepare the pretzel buns by air frying for 5 minutes or placing on the grill for about 3 minutes
- Sprinkle the cheese in the inside of the pretzel buns 1 minute before they’re done
- Place the bacon wrapped Bratwursts in the pretzel buns
- Next, slice the radishes and dice the pickles
- Top the Bratwurst dogs with the sliced radishes and diced pickles
- For the Caramelized Onions
- Add the butter to a medium sized saucepan, the turn the heat to medium
- Once the butter begins to melt, add the julienned white onion
- When the butter has completely melted, turn the heat to medium-low
- Use a spatula to occasionally move the onions around to prevent burning
- After about 10 minutes, add the Worcestershire sauce
- Continue stirring the onions for another 10 minutes
- Once they’re golden and cooked down (about 20 minutes), add the salt and pepper
- Remove the onions from the heat and add them to the Bratwursts dogs
- You can also opt to use an immersion blender instead of a food processor or blender